India is an integral part of Clyde & Co’s international offering and we are one of the few international law firms to have an association with a locally licenced firm, Clasis Law. In addition, we are able to draw on the expertise of Clyde & Co' s over 1,800 lawyers globally who can provide advice to entities in India involved in cross-border business or disputes, and entities outside India looking to do business or litigate with an Indian-based entity.
Our lawyers and the firm has been active in the region for more than 30 years and have experience of working on complex multi-jurisdictional transactions with Indian assets or entities. We also are active as international counsel on Indian equity and debt capital markets transactions. We understand the issues that arise in operating or investing in India and can apply this experience to the advice we provide so that it is tailored to support your business and its needs.
Our lawyers have been involved in:
- Advising a major UAE entity in the jewellery and gold sector in connection with its acquisitions in India, restructuring and proposed issue of securities
- Advising a major Japanese car manufacturer with respect to its joint venture in India and one of the highest foreign direct investments by a foreign company in India
- Representing and advising a major US private equity investor with respect to its acquisition of a strategic shareholding and investment in excess of USD125 million in one of the leading telecom operators in India
- Advising a major US telecom company with respect to its approximately USD 300 million transaction involving sale of controlling interest in a listed Indian telecom company and drafting, negotiating documents relating to the debt restructuring of the listed Indian company
- Advising a major Indian entity in connection with its successful tender, financing, implementation and sale of a BOOT contract for transportation of semi-rich and lean gas through a 98km pipeline in India with a leading Indian integrated manufacturer of polymer, fibre and fibre intermediaries and chemical products from hydrocarbon feed stocks
- Structuring, advising and negotiating joint venture and operational agreements for a major construction company in connection with the construction of a 96km roadway project in India.
- Advising and negotiating documents for a major construction company with respect to the financing of approximately USD80 million gas pipe line project in India
- Advising the various ministries including the Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals of the Government of India on all aspects of, and representing and negotiating on its behalf with major Indian and international bidders in connection with, the USD330 million privatization of Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited
- Advising a major US company with respect to its 500 MW power project in India and related operation and management agreements, fuel supply agreements, power purchase agreement and shareholders arrangements
- Advising and negotiating Indian and English law loan and security documents for a major Indian company in the telecom sector with respect to the financing of USD175 million arranged by leading international and Indian banks
- Advising, drafting and negotiating documents for a major international bank with respect to a USD200 million securitisation and supplier's financing of an Indian steel manufacturer
- Representing a major Indian company engaged in the business of establishing and operating satellite system infrastructure in an ICC arbitration involving defending the Indian company against claims amounting to approximately USD 200 million by a Bermuda-based satellite operator arising from alleged breaches of a satellite capacity agreement. The agreement was governed by English law.
- Advising a leading Indian chemicals company on a potential SIAC arbitration in relation to a dispute over an investment agreement, the potential claims being in the region of USD 270 million. The agreement was governed by Singapore law.
- Acting for a Mauritian company against a Singapore company in a SIAC arbitration in respect of disputes arising out of a complex transaction involving the sale and purchase of shares in an Indian company (with funds to be held in escrow). The sums in dispute are approx. SGD 80 million.
- Representing a Singapore company against a consortium of international private equity firms incorporated in Mauritius in an SIAC arbitration seated in Singapore in relation to disputes arising from joint venture agreements involving development of major hydroelectric and thermal power projects in India with an estimated claim USD 200 million. The joint venture agreements are governed by Singapore law.
- Representing a US multinational company and its Indian subsidiary against an Indian company in an SIAC arbitration seated in Singapore in respect of disputes arising from joint venture agreements involving manufacturing and distribution of frozen agricultural products in India and transactions involving sale and purchase of manufacturing equipment. The estimated claim for damages approximately USD 15 million. The agreements are governed by Indian law.
- Acted for Kotak Mahindra, Axis Capital, Citigroup Global Markets India, Morgan Stanley India, HDFC Bank, SBI Captial Markets, ICICI Securities and IDFC Securities in the USD181.5 million initial public offering of RBL Bank Limited including a Rule 144A offering in the United States. (2016)
- Acted for Morgan Stanley India, JM Financial, CLSA India, Citigroup Global Markets, Credit Suisse Securities, Goldman Sachs (India) and JP Morgan India in the USD675 million qualified institutional placement of IndusInd Bank Limited including a private placement in the United States. (2015)
- Represented the Government of India in the USD750 million offer for sale in India by National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) including a Rule 144 offering in the United States. (2016)
- Acted for JM Financial and Standard Chartered in the USD65 million qualified institutional placement of CEAT Limited including a private placement in the United States. (2014)
- Acted for JM Financial, Standard Chartered and Spark Capital in the USD102 million qualified institutional placement of Karur Vysya Bank including a private placement outside of India. (2014)
- Advising on a dispute between a Jordanian contractor and an Indian sub-contractor pursuant to the construction of a power plant in Kurdistan – concurrent ICC proceedings in Paris and Indian Court proceedings
- LCIA arbitration in London between an Indian steel conglomerate, a commodities trading company based in the Middle East and an Australian mining company in relation to a USD 50 million contract for the supply of coal
- SIAC arbitration involving a claim by a Mauritian Investor against an Indian company for a refund of money paid under a share subscription agreement governed by Indian Law
- Advising on an ad hoc arbitration in Delhi, India between a contractor and sub-contractor in relation to the construction of a pipeline in North Africa for a government client